Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Slave Codes


The thought of slave codes really breaks my heart. As you may already know, slavery itself, in my opinion, had to be one of the cruelest issues in our whole lifetime. Just reading more about it, is really starting to open my eyes more on how brutal life must have been. Not only a brutal life for the slaves, but also for the people who wanted freedom for the slaves.

I find it mind boggling that if you actually persuaded a slave to run away, you would be help accountable for disbursing the owner for the cost of that slave. Also, you could be arrested if you tried to “smuggle” the slaves out of the state. 

The even more disturbing thing about this all is how it isn’t only a part of our past, but still even a part of our present. For example, like Thomas mentioned, the people of China and North Korea face a similar mistreatment if they raise their thoughts against the norm.

The laws that we face with today are laws that have you afraid to speak your mind or opinion because you’re fearful of becoming punished or arrested. Being an American Muslim myself, there are always protests going on about freeing our countries and to try to prove to the world we are not terrorists just because of 9/11. I would love to go to a protest and fight for my rights, but I chose to stay out of trouble just in case I were to get arrested or get fined, then what would I do? This has also made me not as passionate about the situation I have to go through everyday being a Muslim living in America. For example, when Hitler did the horrible things he did, no one pointed fingers or thought people of his kind were all cruel and terrorists, so why do they think that of us?

Islam is against terrorism or hurting anyone 120%. If you really look into the religious itself, it’s basically all about loving one another and never hurting a single soul, physically or even emotionally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment